In our modern society, dental care has made a huge leap from making huge braces to fixing deformed teeth with the widely used dental equipment that’s called dental braces. Dental braces were created to help fix the teeth in growing properly and in a normal shape. Many of the people who use dental braces have problems when it comes to their bites, jaws, and deformed teeth. But now with the help of braces, this can be cured in a few years. Of course, while this is very good news to people with dental problems, it also needs great care when it comes to cleaning teeth with braces. Since the teeth is connected with brackets by a small wire and ceramics, cleaning teeth with braces needs a little more effort than cleaning with normal teeth. Here are some tips on how to take good care of your teeth with braces.
1. Brush your teeth religiously and correctly
- This can never be stressed enough. A person with braces should brush their teeth regularly, religiously and correctly. People with braces and people without braces have the same idea of brushing teeth but except for the part where people with braces should brush their teeth and their braces to prevent unwanted bacteria. For people with braces they can brush their teeth circularly, focusing on each tooth. Then they have to tilt their brush a bit to clean the hardly reached areas of the teeth and the braces. Then brush the insides of the teeth, the molars then to the upper molars of the teeth. Brush the tongue also to prevent odour causing bacteria to flourish.
2. Clean Your Braces Thoroughly
After brushing with a normal brush you can also use a proxy brush to clean the surfaces of the braces and at the same time, clean the brackets of your braces. Proxy brush is good in getting the plaque and dirt to the hard-to-reach places of your mouth. It is a very good cleaner of braces, cleaning also underneath each bracket. You can usually buy a proxy brush from your orthodontist.
3. Don’t Eat Foods that are sticky and hard to remove
- People with braces are not allowed to eat foods that are sticky and gummy, like a chewing gum. If a person with braces would eat something like a bubble gum or a sticky pastry, chances are it would be very hard to remove it with normal toothbrush and proxy brush. It would cost you a lot of money going to the orthodontist to clean your teeth thoroughly. This would give you plaque, and would cost uneasiness.
4. Take Regular Check Ups to your Dentist Sterling and orthodontist
- This is also very important. Don’t miss an appointment with the orthodontist to check the braces in your teeth. Sometimes, they have to adjust (to tighten or loosen) the braces in the teeth to make it perfectly fit to the desired form of the teeth. They will also clean your braces more thoroughly and would change your elastics every few weeks.